The Artist's Wife, Dorothy Annan
Oil on panel; signed
16 x 12 inches
The sitter and thence by descent
Cock Harbour Gallery
Tennant and Dorothy Annan were members of the Artists’ International Association, a politicised group of artists founded in 1932. Their aim was the ‘Unity of Artists for Peace, Democracy and Cultural Development’. A left-wing organisation, the group brought together artists and designers to produce pamphlets, posters and public art commissions placing artistic creativity at the heart of everyday life. The Association embraced all media, both modernist and traditional in style, but much of their work was social realism with an anti-Fascist and pacifist theme. Annan was a painter and a ceramicist, born in Brazil and educated in France and Germany, who had her first one- woman show at the Leicester Galleries in 1945. Her most famous surviving public commission is her 1960 ceramic mural for the vast telephone exchange on Fleet Street in London, now listed and relocated to the Barbican, but her largest mural, Expanding Universe, at the Bank of England, was destroyed in 1997.